Toccata
characters
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
08/28/12 12:56:09

So I've been unhappy with my phone service for a while now, but this weekend was the last straw. Hanging up on the hot girl I just met because my "phone modem" decided to reset is completely unacceptable! So I'm looking to get a cell phone, and I was curious what you guys had or have had, and what your experience has been. What carrier do you guys use? Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, Cricket, whatever - what are the pros and cons? And what about your phone? I'm sort of leaning toward an Android smart phone, but I'd like to hear about whatever you've got and what you think of it.

-Toccata

Inv_misc_questionmark_t100
Coogan
Raider
characters
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
08/28/12 14:39:31

I have had Verizon for as long as they have been around. Not a bad rate plan, but then again, have 8 lines with them. I am partial to the android system because it's not apple or windows. I use the phone to talk on and text(I know, what a concept). However, built in Google GPS is hot. Email, apps, etc are nice, but I get by with a laptop.

Motorala phones suck imo. I have not had one that can take day to day abuse and would avoid those like the plague.

Just bought the HTC incredible, happy so far but the texting sucks compared to motorala. Hoping it is a setting somewhere I am missing, just slower typing than droid, but speech to text is much better with this android version.

Suppa should be by to talk about "flashing" phones and how cool he is, but the above is my 2 cents.

Suppanoob
Officer
characters
85 Worgen Druid
82 Draenei Shaman
posted on
08/28/12 14:53:35
updated by
Suppanoob
08/28/12 17:06:12

I'm fucking amazing.

Anyway, I'll post android propaganda when I get home from work.

Edit: I'm currently using T-Mobile. It works great for me, but it might depend on your coverage area. I just happen to live and work in areas where tmobile is strong (when my dsl went down, I was able to do 5-mans with it tethered, if you remember). You might want to see what other people in your area are using and see how well they are doing. At the moment, they have a soft data cap of 2GB. When you hit that limit, you won't be cut off or charged, but your speed will be throttled. BUT that is changing soon. Great customer support and the chick in their commercials is hot.

Downsides to t-mobile are less coverage than the big boys like AT&T and Verizon. Also, if you want an iphone, you're shit out of luck. T-Mobile no has.

Edit 2: Android Propaganda

ಠ_ಠ

Toccata
characters
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
08/28/12 17:33:16

Suppanoob said:

when my dsl went down, I was able to do 5-mans with it tethered, if you remember

So that's how that joke got started. I had no idea. Rad. =)

-Toccata

Inv_misc_questionmark_t100
Deldawalth
Raider
characters
85 Night Elf Warrior
85 Gnome Mage
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Hunter
85 Draenei Shaman
85 Night Elf Priest
85 Human Paladin
85 Night Elf Rogue
85 Worgen Warlock
Notatarah (Sen'jin)
80 Night Elf Druid
posted on
08/28/12 21:43:51

I have the razer maxx from Motorola and I love it. the battery life is amazing and it had gorilla glass so less chance of me messing it all up. Verizon is who I have do to that's what steff's mom and dad have and she will not let me break away from the pack. It is good service do not get me wrong, but I do not like the plan that I have with them.

Steff has the incredible and she love it as well, but I like the larger screen on my razer.

The auction house is the only balanced form of PvP in the game.

Caragdur
Raider
characters
85 Worgen Druid
80 Human Paladin
posted on
08/30/12 08:56:48

Unless you live in an area that Sprint JUST upgraded in the past couple months, stay away from them. I used to get decent speeds (500kb/s up) on their 3G network, but lately I'm lucky to get half of that. Generally, depending on your area, AT&T or Verizon are going to be your best bets. If you do a decent amount of international travel, I believe you can use AT&T phones on other GSM networks as long as your phone is unlocked, which I think AT&T will do after a few months, unless it's an iPhone, but don't quote me on this. T-Mobile CAN be very nice if you live in a good area and they have very cheap plans, depending on how many minutes you need. Most of the smaller carriers, like Cricket run on the Sprint network, IIRC, so I assume they suck if Sprint sucks, and you don't get the same roaming capabilities.

If you go with an android phone, I recommend getting a "flagship" phone. Something like the Samsung Galaxy S3, or HTC OneX. You tend to get longer term support from the manufacturers and carriers for software updates, and also better developer support if you feel like doing some general hackery and ROM flashing with your phone. If you really want to go with a phone that you can play around with the software, there' also the Galaxy Nexus, but I hear the camera on it sucks.

Now, if you can hold out for a little while longer, you get some other options than android. The next iPhone is supposedly being announced in a couple weeks and should go on sale by the end of september. If you know somone with a 4S, you can check that out and get a decent idea of what the interface will most likely be in the next version of iOS.

Also, there's supposed to be some big announcement about the new Windows Phones next week. (Which is what I'm waiting for to decide on what I'm getting as my next phone...contract with Sprint is up in 2 days. Yay!) I like most of what I've seen about WP8, especially that they are supposedly making it possible to manually update your phone with official updates, even if the carrier doesnt want to push them out. Additionally, I want to see how good the music playback software in WP8 is, since my Zune will most likely die in the near future and I have yet to find a good way to keep music synced and whatnot on android (Google music isn't really an option because Sprint sucks).

Then there's Blackberry 10....nah, I'm joking. Don't hold your breath waiting for that to come out.

Ultimately, once you find out which carriers work best in the areas that you spend about 90% of your time, go to the store and play with the phones. If you don't need to be on the bleeding edge of the software versions, find a phone that you like how it looks and how the interface is NOW so you don't worry about when it will get upgraded to the latest and greatest version, etc.

Tux

"The world is a diaper, so let someone else change it."

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.

Avalanchemo
characters
85 Dwarf Warrior
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
09/09/12 07:45:45

I think the new iPhone will be out this week

Farling
Alumni
characters
80 Night Elf Hunter
80 Draenei Hunter
posted on
09/09/12 19:12:10

Toccata said:

Suppanoob said:

when my dsl went down, I was able to do 5-mans with it tethered, if you remember

So that's how that joke got started. I had no idea. Rad. =)

There was a time in my life when my Dad had a wireless dial up configured in the boat he lived on and YES, it was also 5 man capable. Good shit tho Suppa lol.

"Grow some balls...invite a hunter."

sumanthea
Raider
characters
85 Draenei Shaman
1 Unknown Unknown
posted on
09/23/12 16:20:28

Ok I didn't make it past the hot girl part of that so do you have pictures of this hot girl? crosses fingers for boobs

Your mom does in fact like the rock!

Toccata
characters
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
09/24/12 21:32:56
updated by
Toccata
09/24/12 21:33:47

sumanthea said:

Ok I didn't make it past the hot girl part of that so do you have pictures of this hot girl? crosses fingers for boobs

Ha, sorry. No pictures. =P Although I did finally find a picture of myself that isn't awful. Maybe I'll post it.

Anyway, I ended up going with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. Thanks for the help all. =)

-Toccata