1324
Caragdur
Raider
characters
85 Worgen Druid
80 Human Paladin
posted on
01/11/11 14:35:53
updated by
Caragdur
01/11/11 14:36:09

Suppanoob said:

Caragdur said:

Also, are you set on upgrading as soon as you can? If not, you may even want to wait until they start rolling out their LTE capable phones (assuming you live in an area that has LTE coverage or will soon, and want the access to higher data speeds). Otherwise, you could check to see how sprint, or t-mobile's "4G" networks are in your area if you're not bound to verizon.

To be fair, not a single carrier actually has 4G. They just called their networks 4G because the average consumer will make more sense of it than wiimax or hspa.

This is true. Hence why I used the quotation marks on there. ;) Either way, there's still a noticeable difference (at least on sprint's network, since that's what I have experience with).

Tux

"The world is a diaper, so let someone else change it."

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.


375
Suppanoob
Officer
characters
85 Worgen Druid
82 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/11/11 14:56:58
updated by
Suppanoob
01/11/11 14:57:44

Not sure if it was mentioned, but you can has flash on your phone if your OS is at least version 2.2. This will also go for the upcoming slew of Android Tablets.

I guess since I'm here I'll make a case for rooting Android phones. This will allow you to install a 3rd party ROM like Cyanogen (what I use). They're made without the common bloatware that many carriers like to force upon you. You end up with a lighter and consequently faster OS with more room for the important stuff, like porn!

Then you also get access to many of the cooler apps you see on the Android market labeled "root only". Yeah those awesome ones that do really cool things, but won't work without rooting!

One of my favorite apps is SetCPU. I have a Nexus One and it uses a 1ghz processor. I can instruct SetCPU to underclock my CPU to about 200mhz whenever the screen is off (there are many other variables as well). Battery life is greatly improved. There's a sea of other nice ones as well.

Do realize, however, that when you attempt hackering on your phone, you do run the risk of turning it into a brick. The first time I tried this, my ass didn't unclench until the little progress bar was done. =/

ಠ_ಠ


1612
Laari
Raider
characters
85 Draenei Mage
85 Human Paladin
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Draenei Priest
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Human Warlock
70 Draenei Death Knight
68 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/11/11 21:35:11

Caragdur said:

As for iPhone vs. Android, I'll be upfront and say that I'm biased against Apple in general, as I've never owned or used a product of theirs that I really liked. That being said, I've owned a Samsung Epic (android) on Sprint since the beginning of September and I absolutely love it. Using android gives you a lot more control over the customizability of your device, especially if you want to root your phone. I personally haven't rooted my phone yet, but I keep toying with the idea.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Epic (I'm on Sprint as well). How is the battery life on that phone? I've been hesitating because I can't find anything definitive on that one way or the other.


1324
Caragdur
Raider
characters
85 Worgen Druid
80 Human Paladin
posted on
01/12/11 09:42:56

Laari said:

Caragdur said:

As for iPhone vs. Android, I'll be upfront and say that I'm biased against Apple in general, as I've never owned or used a product of theirs that I really liked. That being said, I've owned a Samsung Epic (android) on Sprint since the beginning of September and I absolutely love it. Using android gives you a lot more control over the customizability of your device, especially if you want to root your phone. I personally haven't rooted my phone yet, but I keep toying with the idea.

I've been thinking about getting the Samsung Epic (I'm on Sprint as well). How is the battery life on that phone? I've been hesitating because I can't find anything definitive on that one way or the other.

It really depends on what you're doing. In a day of normal usage (mostly standby, with a few calls, texts, and maybe an hour or so of intermittent internet browsing) I'll end the day with about 40-50% battery left. There are a few things you have to watch out for that eat the battery (a couple of built in Sprint apps that need to be turned off when you first power up the phone, for example). My only real complaint with the phone is that Sprint seems to be dragging their feet on finishing the Froyo update for it.

Tux

"The world is a diaper, so let someone else change it."

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.


1612
Laari
Raider
characters
85 Draenei Mage
85 Human Paladin
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Draenei Priest
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Human Warlock
70 Draenei Death Knight
68 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/12/11 11:21:33

Caragdur said:

It really depends on what you're doing. In a day of normal usage (mostly standby, with a few calls, texts, and maybe an hour or so of intermittent internet browsing) I'll end the day with about 40-50% battery left. There are a few things you have to watch out for that eat the battery (a couple of built in Sprint apps that need to be turned off when you first power up the phone, for example). My only real complaint with the phone is that Sprint seems to be dragging their feet on finishing the Froyo update for it.

Sounds like it'd be equivalent to what I'm rocking now (Blackberry Curve), then, which means that it'll be drained by the end of the day (if not before) given that I use it as my Pandora player for my commute to and from work (and fueling my ESPN/SI addiction when not at a computer). Damn. Thanks though!


539
Tink
Member
characters
80 Dwarf Hunter
85 Human Warlock
80 Dwarf Priest
80 Gnome Mage
83 Night Elf Druid
85 Human Paladin
84 Gnome Rogue
80 Night Elf Warrior
85 Draenei Shaman
80 Draenei Death Knight
posted on
01/13/11 09:51:37

I have an ENV3 and I use my phone for texting mostly... and a few phone calls. I am a geek and like to play with things but wouldn't call myself a power user, although I know more than the average user and am my families go to guy for computers.

I would like to delve into the smart phone world now but I'm not in a huge hurry. My friends dad got a LG Vortex and I got to be the one to teach him how to use it. Seemly I was impressed and I could see myself finding ways to use my phone more with all the apps out there to play with.

Keyboard vs touch... I love my ENV3's keyboard and have been impressed with the LG line of phones for the most part. Playing with that Vortex I did a bit of touch screen typing and even tried out the swype... I am sure I would get use to a touch screen after a few hours of frustration but I can say I am not looking forward to it.

The biggest thing that kept me from getting a smart phone 2 years ago was that I had to pay an extra $30 for a data plan. Just couldn't justify the cost but now they have a $15 plan and that is more justifiable. I don't think I would use it as much but certainly use would go up the longer I had the phone.

I am certainly not a fan of Apple either although I did like my iPod... but there are better and much cheaper mp3 players out there now and like a lot of people I can't stand iTunes either.

And I'm trolling... :)


1599
Holyeros
Raider
characters
85 Human Paladin
80 Gnome Mage
80 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/13/11 12:37:43

I have an Iphone 4, Its simple, fast enough for me, no one fucking facetalks or facechats or w/e its called. And it made my life alot easier. Its like a Tom Tom, I can surf the web anywhere, it takes pictures and lots of fun games. But buy what you want, just wish Droid fanbois would stfu and quit loving their phone as if it was their kid or somthing.

"The world is already run by all manner of Machines. One day they'll remind us of that fact." -Sargis Haz, artificer


1324
Caragdur
Raider
characters
85 Worgen Druid
80 Human Paladin
posted on
01/15/11 19:48:01

Laari said:

Caragdur said:

It really depends on what you're doing. In a day of normal usage (mostly standby, with a few calls, texts, and maybe an hour or so of intermittent internet browsing) I'll end the day with about 40-50% battery left. There are a few things you have to watch out for that eat the battery (a couple of built in Sprint apps that need to be turned off when you first power up the phone, for example). My only real complaint with the phone is that Sprint seems to be dragging their feet on finishing the Froyo update for it.

Sounds like it'd be equivalent to what I'm rocking now (Blackberry Curve), then, which means that it'll be drained by the end of the day (if not before) given that I use it as my Pandora player for my commute to and from work (and fueling my ESPN/SI addiction when not at a computer). Damn. Thanks though!

For what it's worth, I just rooted my Epic and put a custom ROM on it, which some people claim is giving better battery life. I'll let you know how it goes after i test it out a bit

Tux

"The world is a diaper, so let someone else change it."

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.


1612
Laari
Raider
characters
85 Draenei Mage
85 Human Paladin
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Draenei Priest
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Human Warlock
70 Draenei Death Knight
68 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/15/11 20:31:44

Caragdur said:

For what it's worth, I just rooted my Epic and put a custom ROM on it, which some people claim is giving better battery life. I'll let you know how it goes after i test it out a bit

Awesome. Thanks! Emoticon_happy


375
Suppanoob
Officer
characters
85 Worgen Druid
82 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/16/11 08:45:47

I'm going to post some Android propaganda.

Image

Image

ಠ_ಠ