83 Night Elf Druid
85 Human Paladin
84 Gnome Rogue
80 Night Elf Warrior
85 Draenei Shaman
80 Draenei Death Knight
posted on
01/11/11 08:04:12

Now that iPhone is going to be available on Verizon I have a big decision to make. I have an upgrade coming up in March and I am debating. Anyone have some thoughts on new smartphones and/or iPhone vs Android?

And I'm trolling... :)

Inv_misc_questionmark_t100
Deldawalth
Raider
characters
85 Night Elf Warrior
85 Gnome Mage
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Hunter
85 Draenei Shaman
85 Night Elf Priest
85 Human Paladin
85 Night Elf Rogue
85 Worgen Warlock
Notatarah (Sen'jin)
80 Night Elf Druid
posted on
01/11/11 08:12:36
The auction house is the only balanced form of PvP in the game.

Caragdur
Raider
characters
85 Worgen Druid
80 Human Paladin
posted on
01/11/11 09:36:31
updated by
Caragdur
01/11/11 09:47:53

First off, Del, that video is awesome.

Tink: Out of curiosity, what type of phone are you using now? (feature phone vs older smart phone?) I only ask because it can be a bit of a learning curve regardless of what you get.

As for iPhone vs. Android, I'll be upfront and say that I'm biased against Apple in general, as I've never owned or used a product of theirs that I really liked. That being said, I've owned a Samsung Epic (android) on Sprint since the beginning of September and I absolutely love it. Using android gives you a lot more control over the customizability of your device, especially if you want to root your phone. I personally haven't rooted my phone yet, but I keep toying with the idea.

Aside from that, in general, you'll be able to get a phone that is more powerful than what you'll get with an iPhone. Hell, the manufacturers were showing off their dual core phones at CES last week, and some of them look very cool. The down side to the more powerful phones, or ones with bigger screens is that you tend to have a bit shorter battery life on the high end android phones than you would with an iPhone, but that's a trade off for the performance you get, since I think Apple may even underclock the processors on the iPhones a bit to extend the battery life.

Also, are you set on upgrading as soon as you can? If not, you may even want to wait until they start rolling out their LTE capable phones (assuming you live in an area that has LTE coverage or will soon, and want the access to higher data speeds). Otherwise, you could check to see how sprint, or t-mobile's "4G" networks are in your area if you're not bound to verizon.

Edit: Forgot to add. One other aspect (which is a blessing or a curse, depending on who you ask) is that with Android, the manufacturers and carriers are allowed a greater freedom to tweak the software. For example, every manufacturer has their own UI that they like to put on the phone (Samsung Touchwiz, Motorola Blur, HTC Sense, etc). Wether or not you like the UI is a personal preference, but one that can be changed to another UI relatively easily (depending on how far you want to go with it). As for the carriers mucing things up, the biggest one I've seen was Verizon removing the Google software (Maps, search, etc) and replacing them with the Microsoft equivalents (Bing). This only happened on a few phones, and I dont think any of them were recent, but still something to keep in mind. Possibly the biggest drawback to the manufacturers and carriers customizing things like this is that you can see a delay in updates in versions. For example, people using the HTC Evo had Android 2.2 back in at least September, while all the US Samsung Galaxy S users (myself included) are still waiting for an upgrade that we were told would be "soon." So it doesn't hurt to check out how the manufacturer and carrier are at getting timely updates out.

Tux

"The world is a diaper, so let someone else change it."

I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role.

Maximusrex
Officer
characters
85 Human Warlock
80 Human Paladin
85 Human Priest
85 Human Death Knight
posted on
01/11/11 11:14:34

Don't get an iPhone, because then you have to use iTunes, which is the biggest most annoying steaming pile of shit ever developed.

Love my iPod touch, but iTunes on Windows makes me want to kill kittens. Cute little adorable fluffy kittens.

I don't feel bad for stupid people, I think they should be rounded up and put into camps so as to stop afflicting the rest of us with their stupidity.

Aven
Administrator
characters
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Shaman
65 Worgen Rogue
posted on
01/11/11 11:26:20

I've had an iPhone, iPhone 2, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I've played around with other people's Andriod phones in the office and while a year ago I would say the iPhone was definitely a superior portable internet connected computer (who cares about the phone part), but that line has grayed a lot lately. Andriod is catching up pretty fast in terms of usability and functionality, and in some cases surpasses it (in functionality, not so much in usability).

As with any brand war there's going to be zealots on both sides, so anything you read will likely be skewed to the side that the person prefers. Apple is pretty good at making a product that any idiot can use. The interface is simple and there's not a lot of duplication (because they don't let people put out apps that duplicate built in functionality). This is a good and bad thing, good because if you want an application you go to the "AppStore," bad because you're stuck with the software that apple produces (the whole Google Voice fiasco comes to mind). On the Andriod there are many "App Stores" and the version of software you buy may or may not work with your phone due to fragmentation. You have to be careful and buy the latest and greatest phones if you want future OS support for more than 6-12 months. Otherwise you can easily be stuck in a 2 year contract for a phone that can't be upgraded.

Do you like a keyboard with buttons? There are a lot of Andriod phones with that feature, but 0 iPhones with that feature. I found that it took me about 30 minutes to get good enough with a touch keyboard to not give a shit, but touch screens these days are capacitive, so you can't use it with gloves on or with a non-conductive tool (pencil eraser, etc).

Do you want to be able to hack your phone? You can 'jailbreak' an iPhone and load anything you want, but it's a little circumspect. Andriod is more open. Personally I'm kind of done with the whole hacking my phone to do things. I spend most of my time programming as it is, I'm willing to wait for someone else to provide functionality at this point. Back in the Sidekick days I got my development key on day one, I also used to hack the crap out of my Razer phone. It just depends if that's important to you. Are you an end-user or a power-user right now?

I still have a year and a half on my AT&T contract, so I'm sticking with the iPhone4 for now, but I may go Andriod next time I upgrade.

Aven
Administrator
characters
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Shaman
65 Worgen Rogue
posted on
01/11/11 11:27:51

Maximusrex said:

Don't get an iPhone, because then you have to use iTunes, which is the biggest most annoying steaming pile of shit ever developed.

Love my iPod touch, but iTunes on Windows makes me want to kill kittens. Cute little adorable fluffy kittens.

It's not as bad if you have an Apple computer. :-P

In any case, I don't even use iTunes anymore. Now that you can background Pandora there's no reason to.

Sarahbeam
Officer
characters
85 Night Elf Priest
85 Night Elf Druid
posted on
01/11/11 13:11:27

Every person I know who has had an iPhone, ends up hating them as they broke really, really quickly.

Me: Why am I still doing archaeology? Oh I know, achievement points.
Bene: And yet you fish.
Me: At least fishing you get stuff.
Bene: That no one uses.
Me: Food buff.
Bene: Except everyone uses the fish feasts.
Me: ...

Suppanoob
Officer
characters
85 Worgen Druid
82 Draenei Shaman
posted on
01/11/11 14:10:00

Caragdur said:

Also, are you set on upgrading as soon as you can? If not, you may even want to wait until they start rolling out their LTE capable phones (assuming you live in an area that has LTE coverage or will soon, and want the access to higher data speeds). Otherwise, you could check to see how sprint, or t-mobile's "4G" networks are in your area if you're not bound to verizon.

To be fair, not a single carrier actually has 4G. They just called their networks 4G because the average consumer will make more sense of it than wiimax or hspa.

ಠ_ಠ

Aven
Administrator
characters
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Shaman
65 Worgen Rogue
posted on
01/11/11 14:10:26

Sarahbeam said:

Every person I know who has had an iPhone, ends up hating them as they broke really, really quickly.

It's funny because I have friends who seem to break them all the time. I have yet to get anything but a superficial scratch. I didn't have a case at all on the first gen and it had pock marks all over the aluminum from it dropping or flying across the pavement; still worked fine. The other ones I bought rubber sleeves to protect the plastic bits, but I've never had a screen protector. I just don't know what people do to their electronics to break them all the time.

Aven
Administrator
characters
85 Night Elf Hunter
85 Night Elf Druid
85 Dwarf Shaman
65 Worgen Rogue
posted on
01/11/11 14:12:17

Suppanoob said:

To be fair, not a single carrier actually has 4G. They just called their networks 4G because the average consumer will make more sense of it than wiimax or hspa.

Additionally the whole 3G, 4G thing is retarded because it so vague. All it means is 3rd or 4th generation cellular network, it has nothing to do with how fast it is.